Healthy Start chose Pittsburgh/Allegheny County to be one of the first 15 special project areas nationwide, due in large part to its disproportionately high infant mortality rate (IMR), particularly amongst low-income white and African-American women.
Healthy Start concentrates its efforts on the following six areas in Allegheny County:
- North Side
- Center City
- East End/Wilkinsburg
- South Side
- Western Communities
For a detailed map, click here.
The complete listing of all communities served in each of the six regions:
- Northside: Northview Heights, Perry South, Allegheny Center, Central North Side, California-Kirkbride, Chateau, Manchester, Allegheny West, North Shore, Spring Garden, Troy Hill, Spring Hill-Cityview and Fineview
- Center City: West and South Oakland, Hill District, Uptown, Downtown, Polish Hill and the Strip District
- East End/Wilkinsburg: Homewood, East Hills, Lincoln-Lemington, Belmar, Garfield, East liberty, Larimer, Point Breeze North, Highland Park, Morningside, Stanton Heights and Wilkinsburg
- South Side: Arlington, Arlington Heights, Carrick, St. Claire Village, Mount Oliver, Knoxville, Bon Air, Allentown, Beechview, Duquesne Heights, Southside, Beltzhoover and Mount Washington
- Western Communities: Windgap, Fairywood, McKees Rocks and Crafton Heights-Greenway
- Braddock/Duquesne: Braddock and Duquesne